Stadium Building Competition - 2010
• 40 Schools were chosen to participate
• Groups of 6 to 12 - Grade 7 Learners - per school
• Schools received a budget of R25 000 to purchase LEGO
• Schools built their models on a base board [ 1200mm x 800mm ]
• Models are on display at Sci Bono
• Over R500 000 worth of prizes were awarded to participating schools
Great news : This competition is set to become an annual event - make sure your school is involved next year !
The World Cup Soccer will probably only come to African once in my lifetime. Here is a chance to share the hype, the enthusiasm and the positive energy that children in thiscountry feel right now. If Africa hopes to stage world events like this in the future, it will be in the hands of the very children we aim to involve right now.
Record of events :
- In conjunction with Sci Bono and The Department of Education, LEGO Education launched a stadium building competition for learners in Grade 7 at 40 Primary Schools throughout Gauteng.
- 16th Feb : District officials and representatives of the schools met at Sci Bono to be informed about the competition.
- 19th Feb : Cut-off date for schools to commit to the competition.
- The list of schools below have registered to participate.
- 6th Mar : Held our 1st Meeting at Sci Bono - discussed ordering of kits & pieces - explained all the rules - explained what we are trying to achieve with the project.
- 7th of May : Sorted out all the LEGO pieces and kits for the schools
- over 2.36 million pieces
- 8th & 9th May : Schools collected their LEGO.
- Demo Stadium Model built by Jason Datnow was put on display at Sci-Bono. ± 50 000 pieces built from LEGO Charity boxes only.
- Held a mini stadium building competition at Bathabile Primary. A master builder form Denmark, Bo Jensen spent the morning helping the learners with ideas, designs & building basics.
- Schools delivered their modesl to Sci-Bono on Fri 4th & Sat 5th of June.
- There are so many amazing models - I feel sorry for the judges ! Good luck to all - thank you so much for all the hard work - see you on Sat for the Prize Giving.
- Congratulations to all involved. The judging, prize giving and special prize giving all went of really well. Thank you to all the schools who put in so much effort. The learners for all the hours they spent putting the models together, and the teachers for all the background work - and arranging to get all the learners to the Sci-Bono Discovery Centre
- Below is a list of all the schools who participated. You can view all their models or you can click on any of the school names below to see their model.
- Here is a full list of all the Prize Winners
- The final DVD of the whole project has now been completed. Please contact Brent Hutcheson if you'd like to get a copy of the DVD.
- Schools may collect their models from the Sci-Bono Discovey Centre from 23rd of Aug 2010
- Please try have all the models collected before the end of term 23rd of Sept 2010
- If you don't want your model back and want to donate it to the Department of Education - please just let us know - they would like some to show at their head offices.